High Oleic Sunflower Kernel
A Healthy & Versatile Ingredient
In the 1970s, SunOpta transformed the sunflower industry by introducing the SL® 80 extended shelf-life high oleic sunflower kernel. SunOpta's SL® 80 kernel is the most functional, healthy, and economical sunflower ingredient for food manufacturers and consumers. Compared to traditional sunflower, the SL® 80 kernel has a relatively large percentage of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats (oleic fatty acids). The higher ratio of oleic acid effectively protects the integrity of roasted kernels by actively resisting oxidative degradation. The result is a premium sunflower product that surpasses other nuts, like almonds and hazelnuts, in product stability, versatility, and value.
High oleic sunflower kernels naturally improve the health profile and shelf life of honey roasted, chocolate coated, and seasoned sunflower products. SL® 80 products are also perfect as ingredients in breads, snacks, energy bars, and cereals.
SUNOPTA HIGH OLEIC PRODUCTS
- SL® 80 large sunflower kernel
- SL® 80 regular sunflower kernel
- High-oleic sunflower oil
- Roasted, salted, and flavored kernels
- Innovative ingredient
- Diverse product applications
- Nutritionally-dense whole food
- Extended shelf-life (5x)
- Easy to transport
- Natural "whole-food" ingredient solution
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Excellent product shelf-life
- Tremendous source of vitamin E (alpha tocopherol)
- Non-GMO & organic
- Versatile ingredient applications
- Resistance to rancidity
- Best value and maximum economy
- Superior nutritional profile to almonds & hazelnuts
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
The SunOpta Sunflower research and development team includes agronomists, food technologists, flavor chemists, dietitians, processing engineers, and quality control specialists. These professional and industry-specific staff can select the best ingredient for your application, customize an ingredient for your needs, and develop products to meet your target market. SunOpta always adheres to the highest level of quality control to ensure the excellence and consistency of our sunflower products.
SUPERIOR NUTRITIONAL DENSITY
Sunflowers are a nutritionally dense food, power-packed with protein, fiber, vitamin E, minerals, healthy fats, and phytochemicals. Sunflower products are a functional, versatile, and delicious food choice.
- Two times more protein than walnuts, pecans, and macadamia nuts
- Six times more vitamin E than peanuts
- Seven times more folate than almonds, cashews, and pecans
- More fiber than an apple, comparable to a serving of bran flake cereal
Download information about High Oleic Sunflower Kernel as a PDF.