Excellent Whole Food & Ideal Snack
SunOpta inshell sunflower products are leading offerings from our healthy products portfolio. "Inshell" means that the sunflower kernels are left in their protective shell, which can be roasted, salted, or flavored. They are eaten as a snack by cracking the shell open, discarding the shell, and eating the delicious and nutritious kernel within.
People enjoy the pleasant crunch, nutty flavor, and nutritional value of sunflower throughout the world. In Turkey, sunflower is the most popular snack food in the country, with ninety-eight percent of the population consuming them. At Spanish football (soccer) games, over 2200 metric tons are consumed in stadiums per year. Sunflower seeds are a popular snack in China, partly because of their economical price in relation to other available nuts. At American baseball games, players and spectators alike regularly enjoy a mouthful of sunflower seeds. Inshell sunflower is an excellent snack choice. Each kernel offers a wealth of nutrients, many of which are not readily available in other nuts, seeds, or snack products. Full of protein, fiber, minerals, vitamins, phytochemicals, and healthy unsaturated fats, sunflower seeds are a naturally healthy, power-packed snack.
- Nutritionally-dense whole food
- Delicious and versatile snack
- Cost-effective nut substitute
- Durable and shelf-stable
- Easy to transport
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- 22/64 and 20/64 Inshell from Kansas or North Dakota
- Flavored, roasted, or raw
- Color consistency (optical color sorter technology)
- Free from foreign material
- Multiple growing regions to limit risk
- Appeal to outdoor and sports enthusiasts
- Popular in domestic and international markets
HISTORY OF THE AMAZING SUNFLOWER
Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) is an indigenous plant of North America. Evidence suggests that native peoples cultivated sunflowers in present-day Arizona and New Mexico as early as 3000 BC. Traditionally, they cracked the seed and ate the kernel as a snack. They also ground or pounded the seeds into flour for meal, cakes, and breads. Upon visiting North America, Spanish explorers discovered the unique properties, useful applications, and delicious nutrition of sunflower. These explorers returned to Spain with the plant, and subsequently introduced sunflower to other parts of Europe and Asia. Today, sunflower's popularity continues to increase throughout the world.
SUPERIOR NUTRITIONAL DENSITY
Sunflower is a nutritionally dense whole food-power-packed with protein, fiber, Vitamin E, Folate, minerals, healthy fats, and phytochemicals. Sunflower products are a functional, versatile, and delicious food choice.
- Two times more protein than walnuts, pecans, and macadamia nuts
- Six times more Vitamin E than peanuts
- Seven times more Folate than almonds, cashews, and pecans
- More fiber than an apple, comparable to a serving of bran flake cereal
- Ideal heart-healthy fat profile
- Naturally low in carbohydrates
Download information about Inshell Sunflower as a PDF.