Versatile Ingredient & Healthy Snack
SunOpta offers a complete range of sunflower kernel products, with a specialty in the extended shelf life SL®80 high oleic sunflower kernel.
In the 1970s, SunOpta Sunflower (formerly SIGCO Sun Products) transformed the sunflower industry by developing the extended shelf life high oleic sunflower kernel (SL®80). The creation of the SL®80 kernel provided a solution to the rancidity issue of traditional roasted confection kernel. The extended shelf life of the SL®80 kernel-up to five times longer than that of traditional confection-created new market possibilities, increased product applications, and offered a functional and economical option to manufacturers.
As a leading innovator and supplier, we work with over 250 growers to provide our sunflower products to more than 30 countries. We are the primary supplier of high oleic and value-added sunflower products and lead in the development of new hybrid sunflower varieties. Involved every step of the way-from seed to table-we provide the best sunflower kernel products on the market.
- Extended shelf life
- Pleasant texture (smooth mouth-feel and consistent crunchiness)
- Moisture preservation
- Cost-effective and allergen free nut replacement
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Nutritionally dense whole food
- Firm crunch & mild, nutty flavor
- Consistent visual characteristics
- Texture enhancement
- Value-added processing
- Premium sizes & variety of ounce counts
- Raw, flavored, & roasted
- Nutritious snack (roasted, salted, & flavored)
- Confectionary (ingredient in chocolates & sweets)
- Multi-grain (breakfast bars, cookies, energy bars, & crackers)
- Baking (breads, bagels, & muffins)
- Industrial baking mixes (ingredient in pre-made mixes)
- Toppings (salads, yogurt, & stir-fry)
- Breading and coatings (chicken & fish breadings)
The "kernel" is the inner, edible portion of the sunflower seed. Our state-of-the-art technology effectively and efficiently removes the outer shell, providing us with the most consistent and cost-effective sunflower kernels on the market. This modern technology helps us to preserve the natural identity, purity, and quality of our sunflower kernel products.
SUPERIOR NUTRITIONAL DENSITY
Sunflower is the most nutritionally dense whole food, power-packed with protein, fiber, Vitamin E, Folate, minerals, healthy fats, and phytochemicals. Sunflower products are a functional, versatile, and delicious food choice.
- Two times more protein than walnuts, pecans, and macadamia nuts
- Six times more Vitamin E than peanuts
- Seven times more Folate than almonds, cashews, and pecans
- More fiber than an apple-comparable to a serving of bran flake cereal
- Ideal heart-healthy fat profile
- Naturally low in carbohydrates
"Sunflower seeds are the best natural, whole food source of Vitamin E, almost all of which is alpha-tocopherol, the most biologically active form. One ounce of oil-roasted sunflower seeds provides a whopping 76% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance for Vitamin E." (Source: National Sunflower Association)
Download information about SunOpta Sunflower Kernel products as a PDF.