With respect to promotional messages, photos, or other communications made on social media platforms about SunOpta Grains and Foods, Inc. (“SunOpta”) and our products and brands, including without limitation SUNOPTA, DREAM, WESTLIFE, and SOWN, all influencers must adhere to the following standards.
This Social Media Influencer Policy (“Policy”) may be updated from time to time by SunOpta in its sole discretion without notice. Updates to the Policy will be effective seven (7) calendar days after they are posted.
Each influencer engaged by or on behalf of SunOpta (“You”) must comply with the Federal Trade Commission’s (the “FTC“) Guides Concerning Endorsements and Testimonials (https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-16/chapter-I/subchapter-B/part-255), including making:
- statements that reflect your honest beliefs, opinions, and experiences; and
- clear and conspicuous disclosure about your connection to us in all of your posts.
To better understand your responsibilities under the Endorsement Guides, you must review:
- The FTC’s Endorsement Guides: What People Are Asking (https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/ftcs-endorsement-guides-what-people-are-asking).
- FTC: The Do’s and Don’ts for Social Media Influencers (https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2017/09/csgo-lotto-owners-settle-ftcs-first-ever-complaint-against-individual-social-media-influencers).
- FTC: Disclosures 101 for Social Media Influencers (https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/disclosures-101-social-media-influencers).
- FTC: Do you endorse things on social media? (https://www.ftc.gov/media/71405).
You may not:
- make deceptive or misleading claims about our products/services or our competitors’ products or services;
- make any claims about our products or our competitors’ products or services that are not backed up by evidence;
- disclose any of our confidential information;
- disparage SunOpta or our brands and products, including without limitation DREAM, WESTLIFE, and SOWN;
- engage in any communication that is defamatory or infringes upon the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other intellectual property rights of others;
- offer for sale or solicit products on behalf of SunOpta;
- make offensive comments that have the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating or hostile environment;
- post content that promotes bigotry, racism, or discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age;
- use ethnic slurs, personal insults, obscenity, or other offensive language; and
- make any comments or post any content that in any way promotes unsafe activities that could lead to an unsafe situation involving SunOpta’s consumers or other individuals.
You must adhere to:
- any additional guidelines provided by SunOpta, such as brand-specific program requirements and our Social Media Influencer Agreement.
You must not create fake followers or engagement on social media platforms, such as:
- buying followers;
- using bots to grow audience size by automating account creation, following, commenting, and liking; or
- post fake sponsored content.